Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Gift



Ribbons, and bows, boxes, bags, cards & tags, even newspaper. Teaching at the elementary level, one of the perks is being remembered for various holidays with tokens of appreciation from your students and their parents. Some gifts are handmade, home-baked, or handicrafts. Others are purchased, but with no less meaning to the giver. I could open a coffee shop with the variety of mugs that I have been on the receiving end of, and could hang original artwork, while lighting candles each day for a very long period of time.

These gifts brighten my days. I don't know anyone that doesn't enjoy an expression of love.

But of all the gifts I have received over the years, the one that is most meaningful isn't a tangible item that will eventually be set aside. It may sound hokey, but I truly believe the greatest gift is a parent's trust. 

Parents trust me to teach their child. They give me the gift of 9 months (funny, sometimes it does seem like a gestational period leading to the birth of a person)with the chance to spend more waking minutes than they often have with their children. 

They trust me with their greatest gifts - over 500 and counting.   

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cindy and welcome to the November blog challenge! Wonderful to have you in the community. I couldn't agree more with you that one of the greatest gifts is the trust parents place in us to care for and learn and teach with their children. I wonder if maybe we underestimate this gift in the face of all the pressures that are on us at times. Love reading your posts and look forward to reading more.

    Justine :-)

    ReplyDelete