Sunday, November 9, 2014

I Hope You Dance

Te@ch Thought Day 8:  Write about a memorable moment in the classroom and how it reminded you about why you love what you do.

** Names have been changed.

To say I have two left feet when it comes to dancing would be a grand compliment. In my defense, I did not have the benefit of dance class while growing up. The closest I came to formal dance instruction was square dancing in PE class. So the idea of me dancing, alone, in front of my class never crossed my mind.

John was a young man who was struggling to get beyond the out of school obstacles in his life to tackle the in school obstacles that he faced. Each day needed an immense amount of effort from him to focus, complete assignments, and learn. His struggles often interfered with the other 28 students in the class. Having exhausted every behavioral modification plan I and several other teachers could come up with, one day I literally threw my hands in the air and said as much to John and the class. And before I gave it any thought, I uttered the following, "John, I'd do just about anything for you to accomplish your work for the next three days."
"Anything??"
"Really, anyyyythhhhinnnggg?"
Yes came out of my mouth.
This began the avalanche of ideas. First John asked. Then the class began chiming in. And then the ultimate request, "Would you dance for the class?" Ruh roh. My heart skipped a beat, or two, if I remember correctly. But luckily, without any more thought, I said, "Sure."
29 students, in unison, yelled, "Really?"
Nothing like student peer pressure. So John held it together (albeit barely), accomplished his work, and I danced. Not prettily, not gracefully, and the soundtrack was drowned out by the shouts and laughter of 29. Now, the hard part - how to keep it going? So, I asked again. "Dance more!" So I did. Each time increasing the number of days before I would totally embarrass myself. And then it happened - John wanted more.
"Would you dance on the reading table?"
"Noooooo." Not wanting to get into the various interpretations of that kind of request.
"Why not?"
Quick thinking, combined with some stuttering led to, "It will tip over." (It would - it was a poorly supported kidney table).
"How about on the wooden chair then?"
"OK - but ONLY IF you do your work for the whole third marking period." (Which conveniently had begun three days prior.)
And to my surprise, he agreed. I secretly thought, well that won't ever happen, so I'm safe. Wrong. It did, which led to the day my students still talk about - the day I danced on the wooden chair.
The best part - John learned that with some perseverance and a goal in sight, he could do what he needed to do. The only dancing I did for that class after that day was at the annual sixth grade promotion dance. And yes, we laughed - again.
And this is why I do what I do - because some days, you need to dance like no one is watching - even when 29 young, impressionable minds are - because I believe that they can, because I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment