Friday, November 7, 2014

If, in the end...

"More than that, I am grateful for the confidence you have instilled in...", from a former student's parent.  The line was tucked in a several paragraph, beyond kind, letter of appreciation and thanks.  One line that told me I had had a successful year.
No, these notes do not come often. But when they do, they reaffirm my choices, "my curriculum", me.

Te@ch Thought Day 6: Share a quote or verse that has inspired you and tell us why.



I have slaved over lesson plans, trying to get them just right to reach all of my students at their most reachable point.  I have taught the basics in writing, reading, math and social studies for many years.  But the best lessons are the unscripted ones, the on the spot, off track, important issue ones.  In my little universe (room 212) I call these "Life Lessons". No curriculum necessary. In fact, they often cause me to cut and paste the planned lesson into the next day.  I'm totally ok with this.  You see, I tell my parents at the beginning of each year that my job is to prepare their students for the middle school, and that I will do my best to accomplish this task.  BUT, dear parents, if, in the end, your child leaves this room feeling and believing they are a better person than when the year began, than I have done my job well. Because they will remember and take this with them into life. I am way more interested in making my students feel accepted, empowered, intelligent,....loved, than having them master a particular skill.
I am fortunate to have many students that come back to visit over the years (if you invite them, they will come).  I am forever amazed at their growth. They share how they are doing, and we reminisce.  And every single one will start to talk about something that occurred in room 212 that made them feel  ________.  

I start each day with Maya Angelou's thought in my heart ~ and I strive to make my students feel that at least to one person, in room 212, they matter...and they remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment