Monday, November 3, 2014

Proud Mom



    Before the days of Danielson, SGO's, PDP's, SGP's, and the many, many other acronyms of the present, our school used a satisfactory/unsatisfactory list of teaching attributes.  Our end of the year summative evaluation included this list as well as a narrative piece entitled Final Evaluation - Noteworthy Contributions. This was our place to share what we thought were our best teaching attributes and moments.  To say I struggled with this would be a major understatement.  I have always believed that if you were doing a good job, it showed to those it mattered to, so there was no need to "toot one's own horn". Call it humble, call it modest, call it for what it was - never feeling I had quite made the mark, reached the top, excelled.  I still struggle with this.  But today's question wasn't as much of a challenge as I thought when I first read it. Ready? Here it is:


Day 3: What are you most proud of to date in your teaching career?

      I believe I was fortunate to have the choice to stay home with my daughters, working part time, and then teaching at the pre-school they attended, prior to teaching full time. I began my full time position when my youngest was entering fourth grade, my oldest sixth. Like many, the adjustment was not smooth, (read 3 foot potholes with no shock absorbers) and I spent most nights wondering how to juggle everything and do it all well. When I was at school, I felt there was always more that I could and should be doing; when at home, same feeling for a different job.  I especially worried about my girls.  How was my working depriving them - as I was sure it must be.  Until....
until the day my eldest came home from High School with a writing assignment that posed the question, Who do you admire most and why?
I still get teary-eyed when I think of reading her answer. Yes, it was good ole' Mom. But better yet, her reason was centered on the fact that I worked as a great teacher, but had still always made time for her and her sister - attending every sporting, band, drama, scout, you name it - event, made sure they were fed, and always stopped to listen. She even called me a "role model".
      There is no place on our old evaluation or new, to check this off, but it truly is the proudest moment to date in my teaching career - the day I learned that all I have to do is love my kids the best way I know how at any given moment, and could still be a great teacher, too. Best. Mom. Ever. (still)<3

1 comment:

  1. Preach it, sister! I wonder how many of the teacher-haters are factoring in the balance required to be both a parent and a teacher?

    ReplyDelete