Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Digital Immigrant, That's Me


Te@chThought Nov. 15th: What tech tools are you most grateful for? 
Why? How have they changed what you do?



The box was huge and heavy. Could it be? I tore off the wrapping paper, fumbling, all thumbs from anticipation. It was! It was an electric typewriter WITH a correction cartridge! No more correction fluid for this girl! The best college bound gift ever!
Funny, I just had this conversation with a few colleagues last week. We are very fortunate to work in a district that has just implemented a 1:1 chromebook initiative for our 4 - 6 graders. (We are a K-6 district). Each day we vacillate between excited amazement and rookie frustration. Trying to keep up in the "new world" has certainly changed what we do. Textbooks online, blogs, word processing, movie making, coding, the list seems endless, and I am grateful for all of it. Why? Because it allows me to be the student, to be reminded of the learning process, to grow. And because many of these tools make the learning "fun" for both my students and me.
Perhaps the biggest change and the one I love most, is that I have moved from the provider of information to a facilitator of learning.  
Even if I do occasionally miss those warm, fragrant ditto papers from the mimeograph machine and carbon copies!

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading about your shift from lead teacher to lead learner alongside your students Cindy. It's a powerful shift and so much fun! Looking forward to reading more. :-)

    ReplyDelete